Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If physicians better understood what makes their patients tick...

From a type 2 diabetes patient on a diabetes social networking site:

"I keep reading where (having) type 2 diabetes is virtually a certainty for heart disease and an early death. These may be the statistics but l just haven‘t witnessed this in my personal life. My grandfather, a type 2 from his mid-40s lived to be 86. My father and two of his brothers were/are type 2 and my father lived to 83, his brother to 82, and one living brother just turned 80. These guys have out lived/are outliving most of their friends who are not diabetic."

"To my way of thinking, if you read and put a lot of faith in articles like this you might as well throw your arms up and say “I give up…I’m doomed and nothing can save me.”


If you were this person’s physician, would you find it helpful if you knew this was how your patient thought? How adherent would you expect someone like this to be if you prescribed medication to lower their risk of heart disease (BP or cholesterol)?

Steve Wilkins, former hospital executive and consumer health behavior researcher

Original post here

1 comment:

  1. As a physician i would not expect my patients to know this information. We all know how powerfull denial is.Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead.No amount of rebate offers or samples can change beliefs.

    ReplyDelete